Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Goals, and not the ones you kick in soccer...

When we were asked to right about our goals, both short and long term, I had to take a step back and kind of think about it. I mean of course my ultimate goal is to be an ESPN Anchor, but what am I going to do to get there? Well I think I've come up with a list of things that could put me a couple spots ahead of average Joe when it comes to getting to "The Big Show."

SHORT TERM GOALS:

FRIDAY NIGHT HILITES: DO IT, AND DO IT WELL
With week 1 of the Greyhound Roundup in the books, I'm actually really pleased with the outcome. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5563167553504791886&hl=en5563167553504791886&hl=en) As always, there is much room for improvement, but just like the teams, this is my week 1 as well and hopefully by week 10 you'll see some amazing stuff out of both myself, and the Greyhounds. I always want to be the best at what I do, even if I'm the only one doing it, I want to hold myself to a professional standard that will be difficult for people to reach if they don't put all that they have into the business like I am now.

ANOTHER INTERNSHIP: WYTV, OR OTHERWISE
The best thing so far in broadcasting by far has been my internship at YTV. I've met colleagues, friends, and some that I may consider close enough to be family. The educational factor was huge in propelling me into this gung-ho Broadcaster that I have become. I believe that another internship, whether it be again at YTV, or somewhere else would be a good idea in advancing my skills, and building more of a network to draw off of when I do graduate.

FLAWLESS TELECAST: ANNOUNCING, ANCHORING, REPORTING??
I said above that there is always room for improvement, and nobody is perfect, well why not try to be?? Who can limit me from my potential other than myself? Nobody, so why not put on the best telecast, a flawless one. This could be difficult because when it comes to my profession, I critique myself pretty roughly, however I feel that if I get to a point where I do a flawless telecast, it's time to retire. This goal may not be reachable in my eyes, but then again, my eyes and ears aren't the ones who matter to me, it's my audience.

LONG TERM GOALS: THESE MAY SEEM FAR FETCHED, BUT TO ME, THEY'RE WITHIN GRASP

GRADUATE: BE THE ONLY BORN YOKLEY TO GRADUATE COLLEGE
This is more of a family goal between my mother and myself. There were some that said I would never make it in a college and some that said that once I got there I would never amount to more than a college dropout because times were too tough, and I didn't like to do homework much in high school. Well, here I am, 3 semesters away from taking that degree and proving wrong the naysayers. It's going to happen, take it to the bank. Besides, without graduation as your goal, you're other goals, just remain dreams.

MOVE TO CONNECTICUT: PACK UP, ADIOS OHIO
Well here's where the story takes a twist, I'm going to pack up and go to a state where I've only driven through. WHY?? E-S-P-N, 4 letters that I eat, sleep, and always dreamt of being part of. The only way to get there is to be there right? I'm not going to do much damage in Ohio or PA, so I figure that my chances at least double just from being up there around that particular area where the headquarters are. I've told people in the past that I dont care if I have to sweep the floor, as long as I get my foot in the door, it's going to take a bulldozer to get me out. Once in Connecticut, I'm going to take a "Do whatever it takes" policy with broadcasting and getting out to Bristol. I'm hoping to land a Production Assistant job right off the bat with ESPN, and possibly get a weekend anchor/reporter job at a local station in CT just to keep the skills up and get my name out(and to save up money for an agent.)

TAKE ON "THE BIG SHOW": BE THE MAN
It's not just about making it to ESPN, once I'm there, I have to be the best, the favorite, the posterboy. I want people to watch Sportscenter at night and say "I'm going to write about DJ Yokley in my blog." When it comes to broadcasting, I'm taking the same motto to it as I did in sports, why do it if you're not going to be the best? So that's what I have to be, and don't get me wrong, I'm not a selfish guy, I'm far from it, but when a kid makes a promise to his mother, he's got to keep it. Some may say, isn't ESPN good enough?? To them I would say, the best have to get better or it'll get worse. In this business there is no "neutral" so you have to keep going forward or you're gonna go backwords. Attitude is everything when it comes to what I do, so if I take a positive attitude to it, I feel as if my chances are pretty good. So I guess I can stop calling ESPN a dream, and start calling it a goal.

Until Next time, I'm DJ Yokley.

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz Farry said...

DJ, you are so driven, I love it! And those hilites looked great. Keep it up!

9/06/2006 09:31:00 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Driven is really the perfect word to describe you. I have yet to see anything stop you in what you want to accomplish. I know the Friday Night Hi-Lites will be sweet because I know you won't give up until they are. I really admire how you put your heart and soul into literally everything you do. Also, thank you for suggesting the whole writing for "WC Magazine" thing. I think that is something I'm really going to get into. Keep up the awesome job and I'm sure ESPN will be begging you to work for them :)

9/10/2006 04:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home