Monday, September 25, 2006

Catching the changeup...

So this week's blog is not exactly about my future, but about the past. We are to discuss classes that stoodout here at Westminster in both broadcasting and outside the major. Since I'm a transfer from Ohio Northern University, this brings me to a slight disadvantage as I haven't had as many classes to choose from. The broadcasting class that has taught me the most and what I've gotten the most out of has been Broadcast Journalism 2, just for the simple fact that it forced me to be involved in every bit of the BC Major here at Westminster. I learned more from being in class with the upperclassmen than I ever would being the upperclassman myself. I wrote for the news, I did a news story, and I really broke the door down on Titantown Sports. Mr. Weaver was the professor in this class, and he really challenged me to create myself as an anchor/reporter and told me that it's all about experience and even after I thought there was no possible chance anybody would ever let me anchor after my first week, Mr. Weaver pushed me to better myself, and that's what I did, but without BC Journalism 2, I don't think I'd have the talent, courage, and definitely not the same amount of experience that I have today.
The class outside the major that has made the difference for me has been the Minority/Majority class taught by Dr. Kitzerow. This actually was a class that I would probably never had taken, but with no options left I asked Dr. Kitzerow if I could join her class, and she approved. M/M taught me how to walk in anothers shoes, how it would feel to be singled out, and if I were ever singled out, how to survive. This class helped me realize how blind I was to society's deprived, and how one person can make all the difference sometimes, which being a broadcast major, and a human in general makes you want do make that difference. So thank you Dr. Kitzerow if you're reading, you truly made a difference to me.
And finally, I had to choose a Professor that made my years here worthwhile. This wasn't too difficult, this person has gone from being extremely intimidating, to being the most outstanding professor, and broadcast partner I've had. This person has taught me more in 2 years in broadcasting than I'll probably learn in my life, not to mention he knows a thing or two about friday night stadium menu's and who has the best! Dr. B is the man!!! He's done so much with the broadcasting program that we're enrolled in, more than I'll ever know. He gives out opportunity after opportunity to students to prove themselves, and to let their creativity shine through. He also keeps contact with his students that graduate and make sure they are doing well, and gives them updates, and asks for them in return. Dr. B doesn't just stay with us for the years that we're here, he stays with us wherever we go because if it weren't for him, there would be no "heads and shoulders above the rest" broadcast program. And I guess I'd still be at Northern.....so thanks Dr. B

until next time.....I'm DJ Yokley

2 Comments:

Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Wow! You definitely win the award for the BC student with the most enthusiasm this year. You embrace the experiences and don't let go. If we could harness your passion and introduce it to all our students...I really appreciate all the innovation and hard work in the past year!!!

9/26/2006 06:14:00 PM  
Blogger Liz Farry said...

DJ.

I miss you.


I hope you're holding down the fort.

:)

10/03/2006 02:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home