Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Senior Project(s)

So it's time to update you on the senior project, and I've got some bad news: There's no controversy, I'm actually right on schedule. Not that I figured I'd be behind, but the fact is, to juggle all of what I'm doing and still get out 4-5 minutes worth of highlights every week amazes even me sometimes. The only snag I had came last week when the group didn't exactly come back with exceptional video of the Homecoming game. So as producer/sports director, I had to make a decision; Do I put on poor video with no sound/ Do I forego a week of Greyhound Roundup. I decided that the viewers deserved better than to be yelling at their monitor and cursing me out because of poor quality. Also, there was supposed to be a special edition of the Greyhound Roundup this week, where I got to talk to Coach Verelli, and some players about where they stand right now. There were a few things that happened beyond my control in this one, so I once again apologize for the viewers of the Roundup. But I do have a little surprise at the end of the year that may make up for it. Not only have I been working on the Roundup, but I have a Greyhound Highlight reel, complete with hard-hitting music, and action from the Blue and Gold machine from throughout the year. I'm not going to lie, it actually gets me a little pumped up, and I'm not even the one playing.
The reason I'm doing all of this may not be relevant right away, but as the sports news industry inches closer and closer to full-time news on the web. I'll be ready. By that time, I'd already had a full season of Greyhound Highlights on the web, and that's just another reason for an employee to hire me over somebody else. In the broadcasting industry, it's all about experience, and I'm not just dipping my foot in to test the waters, I'm diving in to see how far I can swim. I may swim, I may drown, but the experience I get will without a doubt, make me a front-runner for the job I want: ESPN. The best way to find out how this would help me nail down this job, is somebody who is already there. I'm going to ask Denny Wolfe in my next e-mail, if he thinks this will indeed help me land a job there, or if I'm just wasting my time. My money's on it helping me, because in the words of WYTV Sports Director, Bob Hannon, "It never hurts to better yourself." That's all for now, until next time...I'm DJ Yokley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

You should pick one Roundup to have Bob review for you in detail. Do it in person, too.

10/25/2006 06:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home