Friday, November 03, 2006

The journey continues...

It's been a very hectic couple of weeks between just regular class assignments, TV, and radio. Let's start with probably the most exciting event of the weeks. Being live on 3 million homes across the state of Pennsylvania. The Westminster Cable Network and PCN combined and made a successful showing of the Sharon/Wilmington game. Chris "Chucko" Norris, and Christina Roseta were in the booth with me, and it really was probably one of the better games that I've seen on tape from start to finish. The only other game I'd say that beat this one would be the New Castle game earlier in the year where New Castle was favored by so much, but ended up losing. It was a very exciting game, and you could tell because Dr. B and myself were really getting into it. Nonetheless, Wilmington/Sharon wasn't such a good game, the Hounds beat up on the Hounds 42-7 and had their reserves in by the 4th quarter. I'd really like to do more games like that where there's alot on the line, it's the kind of rush that's only comparable to kicking a game winning field goal, or in a tie ballgame, hitting a walk-off homerun. Bottom line, it's an experience I won't soon forget.
Another milestone in my career has been a nearly flawless production of Titantown Sports...twice!!! Setting goals earlier in the year I spoke of this being one of my biggest things I want to do before the year was out. While I'll never say I did perfect, I feel as if the past 2 weeks of Titantown Sports have been very sound. What I consider nearly flawless may indeed may be average for somebody else, or it could be the best some have ever seen. That's what's so difficult about this business, it's all about the eye of the viewer. From my perspective, here's what has to happen for a good segment:
5. Good/creative transitions (not saying changing gears, or taking a step up)
4. No verbal errors (Stuttering, misreads, any other mishaps)
3. Solid content (Something people want to watch/are interested in) Not just filler junk to say you are on TV
2. Highlights/Video (Makes things more interesting and gets people's attention)
1. Writing - If you don't have good writing, it doesn't make a difference how much on-air talent you have, it'll flop. Writing is the most important part of a production in broadcasting, it makes or breaks a segment. How well can you set things up, and how well can you follow through with what you do set up?
I hope this helped somebody, beause it's been a good source of keeping my shows successful through my tenure. That's all for now, until next time...I'm DJ Yokley

1 Comments:

Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

EXCELLENT list!!!
This is a great idea for other capstone students to do!!!

11/08/2006 06:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home